Thursday, October 16, 2008

I'm loving it



What a nice change to talk about art! I'm no expert on the matter, but I really like it. In fact, I feel very interested to study for example art's history. But let's get straight to the point. I chose an artist I like very much: Wassily Kandinsky and the painting I chose is called "Yellow, red, blue" (1925). Kandinsky was born in Russia and he's one of the first creators of pure abstraction in modern painting. Music had a big influence on his work. I first heard about his work on an art's history class in 2006, here at the University, when I was in Bachillerato. Then, last August, when I visited Paris I was in a store inside de Pompidou Centre looking for a poster to take home, and I saw this painting and loved it. I got so obssesed with his art that later I bought a book that compiled all his work.

I like Kandinsky because, to begin with, I like abstract art. I don't really like realism or naturalism for example. I like to see a painting and to try to find a meaning, to look for a shape. I like that it's like a dream, that it's not obvious. I guess I feel like getting into the mind of the creator. I specially like this painting because of the colors and the meaning of the situation when I first saw it. When I first arrived to Paris I thought that the one thing I wanted to buy for myself was a poster of a Kandinsky painting to hang on my wall. When I went to the Pompidou Centre my last day in France (hopeless that I wouldn't find what I wanted) and saw this painting, everything changed! I left that store with a huge smile on my face.
That's it. I hope you like it too! =)

2 comments:

Kitty said...

Hi Barbara!

So you like Kandinsky too for what I've seen, I like his art too, I eve thought of posting one of his paintings... but at the end I changed my mind.

I really like the crazy way of his work, I used to have a notebook which has a Kandinsky design! But it was different from the one you posted this time.

If you have imagination, I think you can see many different things depending on the way and the angle you look at it, for example, the first thing I saw, was the face of a cat upside down.

Well, that's all for now!
Good taste =)!

NG

C Hickerson said...

I also appreciate the subtle approach of abstract art to representation. I am beginning to feel, however, that more realist depictions are actually more radical now--that realism parodies its own depiction of "real life" and makes us reflect on the complexity of representation.

I´m glad you found a painting you liked before leaving Paris!

some corrections:
Kandinsky was born in Russia, and he's one of the first creators of pure abstraction in modern painting. Music had a big influence on his work.

I don't really like realism or naturalism, for example. I like to see a painting and to try to find a meaning, to look for a shape; I like that *it* is like a dream, *that* it's not obvious. I guess I feel like getting into the mind of the creator.